[rpd] Secretariat PDWG

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 10:08:37 UTC 2021

Dear PDWG,

Hope you are safe and well!

Le vendredi 19 février 2021, Eddy Kayihura <eddy at afrinic.net> a écrit :

> [...]

> Dear Colleagues,

Hi Eddy,
Thanks for your email, brother.

> We are following the discussions on the RPD mailing list with the utmost

> attention and appreciate your efforts to find a solution for selecting

the

> working group co-chairs.

...your attention is much appreciated.

> We have seen some community recommendations that AFRINIC, in its role as

> secretariat to the Policy Development Working Group (PDWG), facilitates

the

> ongoing discussions by summarising all the options on the table. We are

> happy to take on this task.

Thanks for the commitment.

...to be sync-ed with the PDWG's ongoing discussions
on the topic, please start by reading this abstract [1]...

~°~
•Action1| seeking consensus on the arbiter of the *selection*
process (Handled by: Sunday) [*1];
•Action2| seeking consensus on a need to define
what is the model of *selection* to use (Handled
by: Sunday, but Jordi should take the task) [*2];
•Action3| seeking consensus on the *selection*
criteria to be used (Handled by: Noah) [*3];
•Action4| seeking consensus on needed deadlines [*4]
•Action5| ...another necessary voluntary effort? [*5]
~°~
__
[*1]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012472.html>
[*2]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012475.html>
[*3]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012478.html>
[*4]: ...a new suggested action which is still in standby;
waiting for a volunteer to freely handle it. Again: any taker ?
[*5]: ...anyone is free to complete if something
seems to be missing.

> As it currently stands, we have seen two proposed options on the list:

...not sure to understand the methodology used :-/

Please, can you explain it to us?

> Option 1: Co-chair election by the PDWG via an online election

> Option 2: Co-Chair selection by the PDWG via consensus

...in action2| [1] we are discussing around four (04)
choices [2] [3] about the method of *selection* :

See the first [2] version:

~°~
•1| a selection based on an election (online) as usual;
•2| a selection through rough consensus;
•3| a selection based on ranking voting;
•4| a selection inside a group of selectees based on criteria;
•5| any other possibility?
~°~

...an adjusted version [3]:

• [A] a selection through rough consensus [...] After prospects do
volunteer;
• [B] a selection based on ranking voting [...] if more than 2 volunteers,
then discussions;
• [C] a selection based on an election (online) as usual [...] if more
than 2 candidates and discussions stalemate;
• [D] a selection inside a group of selectees based on criteria ([...]);
• [E] any other possibility?

> We would like to invite our community members to suggest any other

> proposed options that they consider to be a potential way forward on the

> list by Monday, 22 February 2021 (20h00 UTC).

> The AFRINIC team will then publish a comprehensive list of the proposed

> options on Wednesday, 24 February 2021.

> The AFRINIC team will then share a staff assessment and impact analysis

> for implementing each option on Friday, 26 February 2021.

Eddy...please, brother, what is the purpose of this deadline?

...since the Staff is acting only as a Secretariat,
please you should do only what you *MUST*
...no more!
For instance, if you think that your work can't
been done without clear deadlines [*4]; then please
ask the PDWG to provide them to you...simply IMHO!

> We believe that this will aid the PDWG in making its decision on the best

> way forward.

> . To aid us in capturing your proposed options precisely, we ask you the

> following:

> - We encourage you to be concise when raising your proposed option.

> - We are not seeking support or comments on proposed options at this

> point, just a collection of all the different proposed options.

> I hope this approach could help us come together as a community and agree

> on the best way forward for this core component of our bottom-up,

> all-inclusive process that AFRINIC and its PDP have been founded upon.

> .

...please see above, to capture my take on it.

In short:

...the PDWG decides, the Secretariat executes.

Thanks & Blessed sunday!
__
[1]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012542.html>
[2]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012490.html>