[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Simon mayoye mayoye at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 17 14:31:28 UTC 2016

Hi Alain,

On 6/17/16 4:30 PM, ALAIN AINA wrote:
>> There’s simply no excuse today for building out an IPv4-only network.
>
> We knew this since RFC1933 (1996), even before, but did not make happen.
>
> So let me propose an  IPv6 plan for AFRICA  from AFRINIC perspective:
>
> 1- Lets adopt the Soft landing proposal which imposes IPv6
> ressources(PA or PI) before IPv4 allocation.
>
> It will stop people for getting IPv4 without requesting IPV6. It also
> make members/users work on IPv6 plans to convince their parent LIRs or
> to meet the  assignment and allocation criteria specified in the policies*

I agree with this. As much as this will not guarantee the IPv6
uptake/usage, it is a better approach that might improve the uptake..now
this is SOFTER..
> 2- Lets adopt the Audit/review policy to  describe how AFRINIC shall
> proceed with auditing members ressources utilisation(IPv6 in this
> case) and tell compliance level and issues/reasons of non-deployment
> of IPv6.

+1
> 3- Lets request AFRINIC R&D team to do an IPV6 readiness analysis per
> member:
>
> - IPv6 allocation/assignments in Whois
> - Route6 objects in the IRR
> - Routing policy in the IRR
> - IPv6 prefixes in the routing table
> - IP6.arpa sub-domains delegation
> - DNS over IPv6
> - Org web site over IPv6
> - Etc…

In agreement with this.
Just to add that Telcos will also play a part to Evangelize this to
their downstream customers. And as end users on networks , we will
require to mount pressure on our providers who do not run IPv6.
> And rank members based on their IPv6 readiness. It will tell where we
> are and may help folks making decisions.
>
> Does it sound like a good plan ?
>

> *http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/132-afpub-2007-v6-001
> http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/policies/122-afpub-2013-v6-001
>

> —Alain