[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Willy MANGA mangawilly at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:44:05 UTC 2016

Hello Alain,

Le 17/06/2016 14:30, ALAIN AINA a écrit :

>> On Jun 16, 2016, at 8:58 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 16, 2016, at 01:26 , Evelyn Namara <evelyngeek at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:evelyngeek at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> It is not guaranteed that if Farmer 3 gets all the fuel he needs
>>> he will then supply to all customers of 3, 2, 1. He may have his
>>> hidden agendas and supply his own customers and the rest of the
>>> customers will not be fed well.
>>>
>>> Every farmer knows how they deal with their customers, you can
>>> not come in as farmer 3 and know all the needs of my customers.
>>>
>>> IPV4 will NOT rot (In summary)
>>
>> One could actually make a legitimate case that IPv4 is already
>> rotting. Sure, it has value today as the majority of the internet
>> remains on IPv4 today. However, the rate of IPv4 adoption has
>> certainly been slowing and the rate of IPv6 adoption accelerating.
>> At some point, IPv6 will be the majority of the internet and the
>> value/usefulness of IPv4 will approximate that of rotten
>> vegetables… We might be able to apply it as a fertilizer to
>> something, but it will be of little value and it will smell pretty
>> bad.
>>
>> When I talk about pulling the plug on IPv4 life support, I’m not
>> talking about destroying the existing IPv4 internet. I’m talking
>> about no longer expanding it. Not putting more customers behind
>> more layers of IPv4 NAT without an IPv6 solution in place. Not
>> creating more problems for us to have to upgrade later as the world
>> moves to IPv6.
>
> Here, CGN is part of "normal" Internet life. The worry is more from
> those over there(probably not on this list) who are going for CGN,
> stack of NAT, 96-bit NAT,etc.. instead of IPV6.

To afrinic training team : never give up on deprecating all stuff around
NAT please .

>> There’s simply no excuse today for building out an IPv4-only
>> network.
>
> We knew this since RFC1933 (1996), even before, but did not make
> happen.

and some of us think IPv6 is the future while it's already in our
present and working even in Africa :)

> So let me propose an  IPv6 plan for AFRICA  from AFRINIC
> perspective:
>
> 1- Lets adopt the Soft landing proposal which imposes IPv6
> ressources(PA or PI) before IPv4 allocation.
>
> It will stop people for getting IPv4 without requesting IPV6. It also
> make members/users work on IPv6 plans to convince their parent LIRs
> or to meet the  assignment and allocation criteria specified in the
> policies*

As long as it imposes v6 ressources before any v4 allocation, I support
this policy.

>[...]
> 3- Lets request AFRINIC R&D team to do an IPV6 readiness analysis per
> member:
>
> - IPv6 allocation/assignments in Whois - Route6 objects in the IRR -
> Routing policy in the IRR - IPv6 prefixes in the routing table -
> IP6.arpa sub-domains delegation - DNS over IPv6 - Org web site over
> IPv6 - Etc…
>
> And rank members based on their IPv6 readiness. It will tell where we
> are and may help folks making decisions.

The R&D team could also cross these data with the number of IPv6
training done by the training team on each country :)

In addition to IPv6 readiness, I think IPv6 *usage* should be measured
on one way or another.

> Does it sound like a good plan ?

Perfectible but yes :)

--