[rpd] Selecting WG Co-Chairs: Was Re: Can a Consensual Decision of the PDWG Violate the PDP? (was: Report from Recall Committee)

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 15:33:15 UTC 2021

Jordi, article 11.4 is completely out of the PDP.

Even if this exists in the AfriNic bylaws the Board of Directors is not
authorized by the community to adopting policies without the prior
consensus of the community. You are preferring something that is illegal.

In the case the Board understands they can do such thing just because it
is written in the bylaws it has the potential to create an unprecedented
thing which could lead to ICANN stop recognizing AfriNic as a RIR for
voiding ICP-2 which states the bottom-up self-governance structure for
setting local policies. ICP-2 is not just for creating a new RIR, but if
it was recognized based on that it must keep committing to those
principles. Even in a urgent situation if considered like this, it
cannot do based on the bylaws as bylaws doesn't regulate bottom-up
self-governance and cannot go against ICP-2.

Fernando