[rpd] Criteria for Eligibility or Selection of PDWG Co-Chairs

Anthony Ubah ubah.tonyiyke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:36:56 UTC 2021

Greetings Madame,

Your comments and recommendations is duly noted.
I recognize that we all have freedom to contribute on issues in the PDWG,
is there any reason why you think I shouldn't exercise mine?

Kind regards

Anthony

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021, 7:16 PM Sylvain Baya <abscoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear PDWG,

> Le ven. 19 févr. 2021 13:20, Anthony Ubah <ubah.tonyiyke at gmail.com> a

> écrit :

>> Hello Noah,

> Hi Anthony,

> Brother, thanks for freely expressing your view.

>> This is an interesting list of criteria, but I'll have to disagree with

>> them in this case.

> ...if you disagree with those *criteria* under

> discussion; you are either free to:

> ~°~

> •opt1| amend them at your will; or

> •opt2| propose a completely different set of

> acceptable ones;

> •opt3| call the PDWG to stop the entire process [1];

> •opt4| only complain;

> •opt5| keep quiet and leave the others find/define

> the way forward by consensus;

> •opt6| mix some of the above.

> •opt7| do something different to all the above.

> ~°~

> I'll narrow my reason down to one thing, and that is, this directly

>> contravenes the AfriNIC (PDWG) Election Process. Also, nothing in the CPM

>> clearly prevents any member of the community from voting.

> ...yes! BtW, the CPM section 3.3 has been

> considered as the source of the sole PDP

> obligations this PDWG needs to choose a

> replacement to its recalled Chairs. Is that process [1]

> non PDP compliant? How/Why?

>> Under the Policy Development Working Group (PDWG), Election Process, (

>> https://afrinic.net/policy/development-working-group?lang=en-GB#election)

> ...if you want the PDWG to use this *selection*

> method; then you are for proposition 1| (see [2]) or [C] (see [3]).

> it states thus;

>> *3) Candidate Eligibility*

>>> The candidate must:

>>> 1. Be a natural person residing in a country from the AFRINIC

>>> service region.

>>> 2. Not be a staff of AFRINIC or any other Regional Internet Registry

>>> (RIR).

> Yes! criteria are not a new thing for this PDWG.

> ...i see that the (PDWG) Election Committee's (EC)

> criteria for both candidates [section 3)] and

> voters [section 4)] are non PDP compliant

> and discrimatory.

>> An election is slated to be open and fair, thus should be no criteria

>> contrary to those of the CPM, which is our guide. Kindly note that only a

>> policy can effect changes otherwise.

> ...while it's obvious that a new DPP could help

> to clarify both the method of *selection*, the

> *criteria* and maybe the PDWG EC *directives*,

> but at this time this PDWG has the right to

> choose a method of *selection* in order to

> proceed to the sole task allowed without its

> Chairs : 'replacing the recalled PDWG's Chairs

> by the *selection* method adopted by consensus.'

> ...any substantive objections to the full process [1]?

>> So basically, we need to promote the idea of an open election and fair

>> elections, thus none’s rights should be stifled. Any candidate willing to

>> volunteer to run for a chair should be allowed to exercise his/her rights

>> to do so.

> ...but, we should not try to do it out of our own PDP [4].

>> On a final note, you have just played the same role which you have

>> criticized Jordi for, what goes around does come around.

> ...it's not the same! as i have already provide

> an explanation here [5]; the goal matters!

> where one was not PDP compliant, the other is clearly.

> Thanks again, brother.

> __

> [1]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012542.html>

> [2]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012490.html>

> [3]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012504.html>

> [4]: <https://afrinic.net/policy/manual#PDP>

> [5]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2021/012515.html>

> Shalom,

> --sb.

> *Best Regards,*

>> *UBAH ANTHONY*

>> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 6:54 AM Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>>> Hi PDWG participants,

>>> Could we as a WG participants agree on a set of criteria for a WG

>>> participant to become a co-chair.

>>> [...]