[rpd] Resignation of Policy Development Appeal Committee member

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:19:35 UTC 2021

Guys, please let's speak frankly and directly.

It seems there is a bit of regret due to the fact that the work done is
voluntary. And because of that I read some people suggesting that those
in these roles are excused to commit mistakes and eventually violate
rules (regardless if it was unintentional or not) as it happened
recently and was confirmed by the Recall Committee.

It is always good to have people volunteered for a lot of community
things but nobody may use the volunteer status as an excuse to do things
in the wrong way.
Sometimes you don't have very much experienced volunteers but have
people trying to do their best to fix their own mistakes when warned by
other and carry things on. I believe the previous Co-Chairs were given
enough chances for quiet a while to fix wrong decisions but they decided
to keep them, despite some unnecessary reactions coming from them as
pointed by Recall Committee report as well.

I have no idea why some people form the Appeal Committee have resigned
but if they either they were not prepared, they were feeling pressured
or had other more important stuff to do it was a good thing their
resignation. Then Board of Directors appoints new people willing to
serve and knowing the situation. That's how the PDP works and we keep
moving.

So in resume let's not to use the "volunteer" argument that reduces the
seriousness of the job to be done or as an excuse to commit mistakes and
not be able to fix them. If one is not prepared perhaps it's just not
time to accept the role yet.

Regards
Fernando