[rpd] Rough Consensus Determination of Conflicting DPPs (was: "Community Feedback")

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 19:33:47 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Please see my comments below...

Le lun. 7 déc. 2020 15:53, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
a écrit :

> Just as a random note…

> As a general rule – by the definition of rough consensus – if there are

> two proposals that are in conflict at the same time – neither can progress.

Dear Andrew,
...thanks for your email, it opens my mind, but i
think that the mentioned rule can only work if
PDWG's Chairs considers all the DPPs, under
discussions, when it comes to determine rough
consensus on each of them; rather than (the actual
state) just focusing on each one to determine rough
consensus on it.

The definition of rough consensus states that all substantive issues have

> been addressed – if not necessarily resolved. If there are issues serious

> enough to warrant 2 competing proposals that cannot be brought together,

> the proposals should defeat consensus in and of themselves.

...i agree, but i still fail to understand how it could
be applied to this PDWG, right now, with the current
PDP [1]. Please refer to my comment above.

Remember, consensus is not a numbers game, it is not about votes, it is

> about the fact that the authors of the proposal have looked at each and

> every objection, addressed it, not necessarily resolved it, and that the

> community as a whole feels that the objections have been addressed to the

> point of rendering them less substantive than the passage of the policy

> itself.

...yes, of course!
Thanks for recalling this to us, brother.

> The very fact that two policies continue to stand says this has not

> happened.

...the actual version of our PDP [1] can not solve
this problem. Maybe there is a try here [2] ; but i
don't understand why that DPP [2] is still without an
identifier attributed by AFRINIC (Staff) and have not
yet been published [3] on AFRINIC's website.
__
[1]: <https://www.afrinic.net/policy/manual#PDP>
[2]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2019/010248.html>
[3]: <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2020/011886.html>