[rpd] End of Last call

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Oct 9 12:13:10 UTC 2020

Let’s be logic and rational: I also mention the AFRINIC case as well!

FACT 1: We have a sentence that requires a stable version 1 week before the meeting. Nothing in the remaining text changes that. So, the PDP position is still based on that sentence.
FACT 2: Previous co-chairs allowed *in the meeting, during the proposal presentation* editorial adjustments (rewording, grammar, typos), *only* if those adjustments didn’t change the proposal interpretation. I’ve been several times, we got proposals that had changes much smaller than the actual ones, and they needed to wait for a new version and a new meeting 6 months afterwards.
FACT 3: If *after* the proposal is presented, we allow changes “to declare consensus”, is not that the same as when we have a new version after a meeting and the proposal need to wait for a new meeting?
FACT 4: If we allow 3 above, then *all the proposals* should have the same chances of allowing adjustments, otherwise we are having a different treatment among different proposals and this is against the full purpose of the PDP.
FACT 5: I’m convinced that the chairs acted in good faith, but that doesn’t excuse errors in the interpretation of the PDP, including the lack of a formal stable version available during all the last call.
FACT 6: Anyone in disagreement of the yesterday chairs decision has 2 weeks to appeal the decision. There is no discussion on that. The 2 weeks timing re-starts after *every* chairs decision. The appeal could have been submitted in September, but it can be submitted also now, because the last-call discussion proved that there is no continued consensus (which is the meaning of the last-call).
FACT 7: The board can *only* ratify a proposal if the PDP has been followed. If the board has any doubts on any nit on the process, they can return the proposal to the PDWG for continuing the discussion.
FACT 8: Instead of making a mistake and having *all this discussion*, in case of doubt, we should follow the interpretation done during many years, because it is the actual practice, and ask the board to call for a new meeting in 2-3 months. I’m convinced that it can be much more efficient and not create troubles.

I think the chairs should take a decision if they still believe that they did all right (remembering that a stable version was not available during all the last call), or if it better to extend or cancel the last call and ask the board for a focused new meeting just to resolve this proposal (it can be for others as well, I will not object to that, or even one each month from now on). Otherwise, anyone from the community can go for an appeal and/or the board should make sure if the process has been followed.

I’m not going to reply anymore to this, it is starting to be useless noise and not helping anyone.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet