[rpd] Policy Compliance Dashboard - AFPUB-2020-GEN-001-DRAFT01

Gaby Giner gabyginernetwork at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:25:47 UTC 2020

Dear Jordi,

I think that you have created a policy to police those who are in flagrante
delicto with their violations, and it is admirable. However, I have to
support strengthening our current system instead of creating another set of
rules that are essentially, at its core, identical to what the AFRINIC
board is doing/should be doing. You have responded to this criticism by
saying that many members are not following PDP at all, and that this
dashboard automates notification in case of violations.

Why not give this power to the staff or board itself? As Mike has said, the
board currently does not have an operational capacity or role, and it is
the current role of the staff to do this. Instead of creating another whole
set of rules, we can just add to the current and working one. Furthermore,
creating another entire set of policies for this might be problematic down
the line because it may clash with the original guidelines or other related
documents. Instead of having ONE governing system where AFRINIC’s board and
staff are monitoring violations, we would have two different
policies/procedures that could be conflicting and honestly confusing.

Additionally, I support Gregoire when he said that this policy needs to be
less prescriptive when it comes to interpretations. Flexibility for
AFRINIC, especially in exceptionable conditions is essential because we can
never predict with a 100% accuracy what can happen in the future.

Thank you.