[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun May 31 10:57:43 UTC 2020

On 31/May/20 11:58, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

> I’m not sure I’ve mention this before in this list, but our studies

> and customer cases demonstrate that using 464XLAT, typically 75% of

> the traffic will be already IPv6. If the network has a higher

> proportion of residential customers, these figures can go up to 85%.

> (remember that most of the contents that most of the customers access,

> are already IPv6: Facebook, Google, YouTube, Netflix, Disney, etc.,

> and all the CDNs/caches, all those represent typically more than 75%

> of the ISPs traffic).

> This means that the cost of the NAT64 boxes and IPv4 addresses needed

> is very low.

Agree with all the above.

The problem I've been speaking about in getting Africa on top of IPv6
adoption is one of our own success. The majority of Internet access in
Africa happens over a GSM network (2G, 3G, 4G/LTE), which represents
millions of users in almost every African country. Sadly, as of today,
none of the major or small mobile operators in Africa are taking IPv6
seriously at all.

They continue to spend millions of $$ deploying, upgrading and
supporting CGN's, from vendors that have perfectly working IPv6
implementations, but won't shy away from multi-million $$ revenues from
these operators.

Just by mobile operators in Africa seriously extending IPv6 to their
customers, I'm almost certain we will see a sudden and massive decline
in the demand and requirement of IPv4, in the same year! And by
extension, if the mobile operators get their customers on to IPv6, it
will pressure other non-mobile, terrestrial operators (FTTB, FTTH, ADSL,
hosting, e.t.c.) to get the act together, as they will need to keep up
with the mobile eye balls, a much easier task for that side of the
connection.

If there are any mobile operators on this list, if you're listening, I
won't stop harping on about your role in keeping IPv4 a relevant (or
irrelevant) headache for Africa.

Internet regulators in Africa on this list, if you're listening, make
IPv6 deployment on all mobile services a requirement for license
renewal, in lieu of trying to find new ways to squeeze more money from
mobile operators with no tangible benefit for the end-user, and the
continent as a whole.

Mark.