[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun May 31 16:39:19 UTC 2020

Hi Mark,

There is already a nice case in Kenya with 464XLAT if I recall correctly.

There is another one with 25 million subscribers (mobile, GPON and DSL) coming up. I’m working on it, but can’t disclose yet more details. Unfortunately, it is somehow paused because the Covid-19 … I should have been there working (started in December), but can’t travel there at the time being …

Regarding the cost of CGN, it is way *more* expensive than 464XLAT, at least in the mobile world, no CPEs involved! Both Android and iOS support it. People is not making the right numbers, or they are afraid of IPv6. Even if they need to pay for a training and consultancy to set it up, it is still way cheaper than CGN and it is a *long term* solution!!!!

With CGN you buy the CGN boxes, you keep resolving issues for apps that need ALGs (which means extra cost, customers unhappy, helpdesk). Then each CGN as it gets more ALGs, has a lower performance, so you need to buy more CGNs. Then you also need to buy more IPv4 addresses! And what about the cost of logging?

In the case of 464XLAT, you *don’t need* to buy more addresses, you can even transfer a big portion of your existing ones and get some money back! And because your IPv6 traffic is going to be more than 75%, it means that you need to buy *much less* NAT64 boxes than CGN ones!

In general I don’t advocate for regulators to get involved in private company decisions, but the time for that is coming if they don’t react by themselves, and I guess you don’t want to do that in a rush!

My point for governments and regulators is another. Goverments must not buy anything (not just hardware, software or connectivity, also human resources and other services) that doesn’t support IPv6 (and not just dual-stack, it must be able to work in an IPv6-only environment when needed), because that’s paid with money from citizens (tax payers), so it will be against law to do a bad expenditure, right? Furthermore, if goverments mandate the IPv6 support, all the ISPs will also start providing the service to business and householders.

And last, but not least. I can prove that if a government is connecting many public offices (ministries, municipalities, police, fireman, etc., etc.), in a government network, and they do with IPv6-only (464XLAT), they can save a lot of money.

I’ve a case for a country in another region, I can’t disclose it yet, but I can put the figures in the table. Just for 2.000 municipalties (still not talking about all the other government offices …), the cost of doing with IPv4 is about 340.00.000 USD. Which IPv6-only, including 2 government datacenters (main and backup) is about 40.000.000 euros. This is only including the equipment, human resources, IP/ASN resources and connectivity cost – including VoIP (not including any buldings). Of course it need to be tailored for every case, not all the countries have the same number of connected offices, they may have already a DC, etc.

So savings every 5 years (those figures are calculated for 5 years terms, assuming that you renew your equipment every 5 years) is 300.000.000 USD for 2.000 government connected offices.

Is that making sense for moving to IPv6-only?

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet