[rpd] [Community-Discuss] Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun May 31 09:58:18 UTC 2020

I don’t agree that it will take 20 years, at least not in most of the RIR regions, maximum a couple of them to reach more than 75% IPv6 traffic. I hope that African ISPs realize this soon and move on to IPv6.

IPv6-only with IPv4aaS (as a service) is the way. This means that transfers are needed but more often, you will see small prefixes being transferred, instead of big ones.

The point is that when you deploy IPv6 to eyeballs, the number of IPv4 addresses that you need is so low that the value is already lost, and in fact, selling your (then) excess IPv4 addresses to those that are lagging behind, you can pay for the cost of updating or replacing customer CPEs (which typically is the main issue), etc. Also, you can take the opportunity to provide the customers better CPEs (better WiFi, for example).

I’m not sure I’ve mention this before in this list, but our studies and customer cases demonstrate that using 464XLAT, typically 75% of the traffic will be already IPv6. If the network has a higher proportion of residential customers, these figures can go up to 85%.

(remember that most of the contents that most of the customers access, are already IPv6: Facebook, Google, YouTube, Netflix, Disney, etc., and all the CDNs/caches, all those represent typically more than 75% of the ISPs traffic).

This means that the cost of the NAT64 boxes and IPv4 addresses needed is very low.

In the worst case, an IPv4 /22 can easily hold 300.000 subscribers. If the implementation of the NAT64 is taking advantage of the 5-tuple, then it may become almost unlimited the number of subscribers, with the same prefix length.

I’m documenting that in our ID:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lmhp-v6ops-transition-comparison/

Just not having the time to finish it faster …

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet