[rpd] Decisions on policy proposals discussed during themeeting

Arnaud AMELINA amelnaud at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 13:21:32 UTC 2019

My comments inline,

Le dim. 22 déc. 2019 à 21:47, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net>
a écrit :

> I agree with Fernando.

> I think the important point here is that authors should be cooperative

> with the community if they really want to get a proposal advancing and

> reaching consensus. Otherwise authors aren’t doing their job.

NOT All comments or issue raised need to be accommodated; they can be
addressed. It is always important for the proponent and the working group
to work toward consensual resolution to issues. Cochairs have to moderate
discussions and make sure issues are addressed and accommodated only when
required.
Cochairs can do this when totally neutral.

The current situation of authors vs working group members should be
avoided. To just accept changes to make people HAPPY to advance proposal
is not healthy and should also be discouraged.

As an example, i noticed abuse contact proposal was updated twice before
the meeting, but still got rejected. Does it means author not listening to
the community?
-----
2nd November 2019
Version 4: AFPUB-2018-GEN-001-DRAFT04
Overall simplification of the text

22nd November 2019
Version 5: AFPUB-2018-GEN-001-DRAFT05
Further clarifications of the text

> As I said before, if a proposal is not updated with the inputs from the

> community, chairs don’t need to drop a proposal, but they can just not give

> the proposal time in the agenda.

With a good PDP and correct working group practices, documents advance as
they should and qualify to be put on agenda for PPM. They could also
just be presented as mean to address pending issues and not for seeking
consensus...

> If authors want to play trick with a new version, but not addressing

> community inputs … it is perfectly reasonable and I will say part of the

> chairs job, not allocate time for a proposal that has been updated only

> with editorial changes.

Ouf... I find this statement very funny coming from someone who rejected
cochairs ability to request staff analysis when needed and argued that
staff should provide staff analysis for any changes.

Time will come for us to be a bit more coherent

--
Arnaud