[rpd] Legacy holders?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Thu Jul 4 10:29:02 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 9:23 AM Mike Silber <silber.mike at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Noah

> On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 at 23:27, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>> Hi Mike

>>> Your own employer operates (or had operated) perfectly lawfully in a

>>> number of countries without a licence.

>> Dont be confused Mike, a member can lodge the application for INR in one

>> country and still use them in other countries within AFRICA. We are talking

>> about the application process for INR and the country in which folks apply

>> from and what I was saying is that so often, member services will request

>> for a license from the regulator.

> I think you are confused. You may want to check the history of AS37100.

You are still confused because I know the history AS37100 the pan-Africa
Internet network enabler very very well :-) and such find response inline.

> You can tell me (off-list if you prefer) what licence and from which

> regulator it held when it initially applied for resources?

I dont need to go off-list because I know the origins which dates back to
2009, way before it ever received any INR from AFRINIC. You seem to be
coming from an uninformed or misguided position and since the information
is publicly available, I have done the honor of helping to point you to one
of the regulators website among others which I could. You can search for
our house hold name :-)

https://www.tcra.go.tz/index.php/licensing/licensed-operators/2-tcra/39-network-services-licences

>> You are instead confusing with network operations.

>> Again dont be confused, application for INR in one country to use them

>> for numbering networks in that country and other countries within AFRICA in

>> encouraged by AfriNIC, after all this is the mandate of AFRINIC, to

>> allocate/assign INR resources for use within AFRICA to promote the

>> development of the African Internet we we are doing.

> I am not confused.

I think you didn't understand me well since I was speaking from my personal
experience having been involved with other ISP's and networks like (
AS36965, AS327819, AS327706) in the past, which needed INR from AFRINIC and
the application process required proof of regulatory licensing among other
things. All those AS's had a regulators license among other requirements at
the time of application for INR and this made it easier for AfriNIC members
services team to allocate/assigned the needed INR. I hope am clear now.

What if an ISP operates perfectly lawfully without a licence in any

> jurisdiction?

Aaaah an ISP is involved in providing some form of communication by means
of their own infrastructure or another infrastructure provider. I don't
think most countries with regulatory authorities would allow an ISP to
operate in the country without being regulated, so strategic partnerships
come in handy in some of this cases especially for ISP which are not yet
domicile in such a jurisdiction but could offer services to members of that
jurisdiction through partnerships with a local player. So an ISP could
indeed operate in some jurisdiction but with some sort of partnership with
an existing licensed ISP in that jurisdiction and this is common.

Now in terms of that ISP getting number resources, they must provide some
documentation like a business license from their domicile country/countries
and this is where they would be regulated and this is where members
services team would request for such licenses based on my personal
experience.

Cheers,
Noah