[rpd] Legacy holders?

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 10:44:20 UTC 2019

Hi Noah

> On 4 Jul 2019, at 12:29, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> You are still confused because I know the history AS37100 the pan-Africa Internet network enabler very very well :-) and such find response inline.

Noted and thank you for the clarification

> Aaaah an ISP is involved in providing some form of communication by means of their own infrastructure or another infrastructure provider. I don't think most countries with regulatory authorities would allow an ISP to operate in the country without being regulated,

So this is were you are sadly mistaken.

Many countries allow ISPs to provider services without a licence.

Hence the suggestion (by myself and others) that one size does not fit all and that AfriNIC is not a regulatory enforcement agency, nor a repository of regulatory expertise relating to every country in the service region.

Accordingly, the member services team should carry on performing the checks that they currently perform - because they seem more capable of nuanced thinking.

Mike