[rpd] Legacy holders?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Jul 3 20:14:52 UTC 2019

Hi There Graham,

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 9:40 AM Graham Beneke <graham at sadv.co.za> wrote:

> Hi Noah,

> On 2019/07/02 14:04, Noah wrote:

> We all know what clause 6.1 says but I can assure you that Madhvi's team

> wont play until you prove that you have a license from the local regulator

> if you intend to build an Internet Infrastructure (ISP) on continent and

> need resources for the case of an LIR.

> This is factually incorrect and you are welcome to go and ask Madhvi or

> her team about as like I have on many occasions.

My response was based on my person experience working for / supporting some
different LIR (ISP's if you will). The part of the documents member
services requested while going through the application process for
membership as an LIR with plans to offer ISP services was proof that the
startup ISP had a license from the communications regulator. In all
applications, we have had to provide this information among other related
document to the member services. So this is where I was coming from with my
argument.

> The registration services team asks for licences (and various other

> information) as a convenient short cut to gauge the legitimacy of an

> entities operations. The way this has been requested in some of the

> response templates has implied that this is a hard requirement but it

> certainly is not.

Maybe, but they still ask for it and I take it that they are doing their
job well in order to manage Internet Number Resources.

> It is fairly common across the continent to require some sort of licence

> to build Internet /access/ infrastructure.

Ack.

Many other kinds of Internet services exist that don't require licensing

> such a hosting services and provision of services within a campus or

> enterprise.

> I can point you to examples of universities, banks, content distribution

> networks, government departments, email providers, airlines, insurance,

> energy, logistics and retail companies who have all shown the hostmasters

> that their operations do not require any kind of license and they have

> legitimately received resources.

I totally agree but even with all this various kinds of members, there is
some sort of licensing document either business or for example
Universities, a license from the regulatory/licensing organ of Education in
those countries just as Email providers may for example be regulated by
local electronics communication authority or energy folks with ministry of
energy just as banks would have a license from the Central Bank as
regulator.

My point is this documents on licensing are party to the application
process for INR and AfriNIC should keep asking for them above and beyond
signing of the RSA, confirming to the bylaws and underlining policies that
guide INR allocation/assignment.

Cheers Bruv

Noah