[rpd] Legacy holders?

Graham Beneke graham at sadv.co.za
Wed Jul 3 05:59:07 UTC 2019

Hi Noah,

On 2019/07/02 14:04, Noah wrote:

> We all know what clause 6.1 says but I can assure you that Madhvi's

> team wont play until you prove that you have a license from the local

> regulator if you intend to build an Internet Infrastructure (ISP) on

> continent and need resources for the case of an LIR.

This is factually incorrect and you are welcome to go and ask Madhvi or
her team about as like I have on many occasions.

The registration services team asks for licences (and various other
information) as a convenient short cut to gauge the legitimacy of an
entities operations. The way this has been requested in some of the
response templates has implied that this is a hard requirement but it
certainly is not.

It is fairly common across the continent to require some sort of licence
to build Internet /access/ infrastructure. Many other kinds of Internet
services exist that don't require licensing such a hosting services and
provision of services within a campus or enterprise.

I can point you to examples of universities, banks, content distribution
networks, government departments, email providers, airlines, insurance,
energy, logistics and retail companies who have all shown the
hostmasters that their operations do not require any kind of license and
they have legitimately received resources.

--

Kind Regards,

Graham