[rpd] Cooperation re PDP update proposal

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon May 20 10:19:43 UTC 2019

Hi,

El 22/2/19 19:30, "Komi Elitcha" <kmw.elitcha at gmail.com> escribió:

    HI Jordi,

    As discussed at many occasions, participation in PDP at afrinic service
    region is not as bad compared to other regions.

I don't think so. And this proposal creates additional complexity which will make it worst.

    We recently saw some disengagement from frustration caused by several
    abuses of the current PDP.

I disagree there has not been any abuse on the PDP. Debating and having controversial conversations is part of it.

    The PDP is very light with implicit practices, no description of role of
    cochairs nor how proposed policies make progress or how consensus is
    gauge, etc...

And the easier way is to improve it, not to change it. Radical changes with increased complexity will not help at all.

    No operational rules for the working group which underlies the PDP...

I disagree, there are just small things to polish.

    This led to a lot of sterile discussions, lack of progress, personal
    attacks, out of scope discussions, etc..

Personal attacks aren't part of the PDP, but an AUP. If the existing AUP (code of conduct) for all the AFRINIC lists is not enough, a specific policy for an AUP should be created. Don't mix both topics. Discussions are *never* sterile, even if the community doesn't reach an agreement in any specific proposal all the discussions are useful, we all learn from those debates.

    The PDP-BIS  initiative  is to fix these weaknesses and limitations
    shown by the current PDP, create an operational guideline for the PDP
    Working Group in  order to restore the confidence in the process to all
    participants and make sure people can contribute constructively. More
    people will certainly join as they see the changes.

We have it there already, is just polishing some bits.

    So, no complexity being added .. only clarity in addressing real issues.

    As you appear not to know where we are coming from, your ability to take
    us to the right destination is doubtful.

I've been participating in this community since AFRINIC was created, so I know very well it. Further, I'm also active in the other 4 RIRs and many other related organizations, so I think I've sufficient knowledge and experience to have a clearer view on all this. I think is really wrong for any community member to judge if another member is able to contribute or not, it is just a matter of the PDP and its results.

Regards,
Jordi

    --
    KE