[rpd] Questions for Alain...

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Tue Jun 5 15:44:17 UTC 2018

On 06/05/2018 07:00 AM, Kris Seeburn wrote:
> Then it is time we adopt other RIR policy in that line. Let us just
> cut the chase and move into the same global chain of events. Stop the
> fightings and accept the logical path.

I don't find "what the rest of the world does" to be a compelling
argument for Africa. What's good for the rest of the world may not be
good for Africa.

The price of IPv4 addresses is rising on the global market. It should
reach US$20 per address this year for small blocks (/19 and smaller), a
bit more for a /16, and even more for large sections of a /8.

Prices like that would affect Africans in different ways. Some might be
able to buy addresses, because they need them in order to grow. Some
might sell addresses, which could allow them to buy new hardware, expand
their cable plant, or hire more people. It might make economic sense in
many cases to sell IPv4 addresses and use IPv6 plus translation. (If an
IPv4 address is worth US$24, then why not charge your customer $2/month
for not letting you sell that address?).

Done collaboratively, I can imagine ISPs, IXPs, and web hosting
companies migrating quickly to IPv6 with just a small translator
infrastructure between them. It could be similar to what we've seen in
several parts of Africa where a small old-fashioned infrastructure (land
lines, banks) have enabled Africa to leapfrog much of the world (mobile
phones, phone payments).

I'd like to do some more study to think about how this would play out.
Maybe in time for the next meeting.

Disclosure: I consult on IPv6 and the IPv4 market and provide IPv6-IPv4
translators. I therefore have an interest in seeing IPv6 deployed.
However, I started my company because I believe IPv6 is the best way to
protect the stability and connectivity of the Internet (as opposed to
lots of NAT, or pockets of disconnectivity). In this thread, it seemed
relevant to disclose this interest.

Lee Howard
Retevia