[rpd] Migrating quickly to IPv6

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue Jun 5 19:44:43 UTC 2018

Hi Lee,
[Subject line changed]
At 08:44 AM 05-06-2018, Lee Howard wrote:
>Done collaboratively, I can imagine ISPs, IXPs, and web hosting
>companies migrating quickly to IPv6 with just a small translator
>infrastructure between them. It could be similar to what we've seen
>in several parts of Africa where a small old-fashioned
>infrastructure (land lines, banks) have enabled Africa to leapfrog
>much of the world (mobile phones, phone payments).

There is an ICANN presentation about IPv6 deployment in several
countries.  It could be interpreted as IPv6 is not a replacement for
IPv4.  One of the points in the above is that a migration entails
some cooperation between different entities.  There are also issues,
e.g. what to do about mobile phones which only have IPv4 support.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy