[rpd] Lame Delegations in AFRINIC Reverse DNS Proposal

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed May 31 07:55:52 UTC 2017

Some background - I've been involved with the CO.ZA registration system
for about 23 years. Our policy was to only allow a new delegation into
the zones once the nameservers were all authoritative - i.e. Don't add
broken stuff.

I'm now looking after another smaller zone and although I still follow
the manta of not adding broken stuff, I'm finding that there are lame
Delegations so I will be adding automated periodic checks and informing
people when there are problems.

On 31/05/2017 09:26, Adnan RIHAN wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After few clarifications, here are my thoughts:
>
> - I agree with the general idea of the proposal, we need to clean the
> db once in a while.
I also agree with this - perhaps between two and four times a year.
> - I don’t agree with authors saying it will be effective, because as
> one of our fellows from other RIRs, it would be hard to correctly
> define a lame as a lame. It’s not because others have 0 lames that
> it’s effective. Their LIRs/End-Users/techs may be just more careful.

For ARIN to do this is difficult, as ARIN has inherited a lot of Legacy
users - often without correct contact information. This is not the case
for AFRINIC.

> - I agree with Alain and another one (sorry I didn’t get your name)
> saying that it’s an operational issue, let the whois as it is, block
> the delegation implementation if it’s a lame.

No, its more than that. One point not brought up and emphasised is that
the owners will be contacted in this process - allowing them to fix things.

> - Maybe we need a policy to check the contacts once a year

More often!

> - Authors could specify that the lameness should be tried at a
> particular frequency, let’s say when the record is aged every 6 months
> or year. Then for 3 or 5 days it’s rechecked.

I'm sure the algorithm would be something like that.
Check. if broken - re-check after 2 days, then four days, then eight
days then mark as bad. (Like how mail delivery works)