[rpd] Lame Delegations in AFRINIC Reverse DNS Proposal

David Siebörger drs at sieborger.nom.za
Wed May 31 07:57:06 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 8:22:49 AM Mark Elkins wrote:
> I agree with this Policy. It should simply be passed and implemented. I
> don't think much needs to be said otherwise.

I agree with Mark and support the Lame Delegations proposal.  As someone who
runs a nameserver that has many lame delegations to it from organisations
who're difficult to reach or may not even exist any more, I'd appreciate it
if AFRINIC could be empowered to remove those delegations.

The only concern I have is that, while the policy calls for repeated testing
before taking action (proposed CPM 10.7.1), the tests should be conducted
from multiple locations on the Internet.  A routing problem which causes a
nameserver to be only partially reachable should not result in delegations to
that nameserver being removed.  This may be merely an implementation detail
that doesn't need to be explicitly addressed in policy, though.

David Siebörger