[rpd] Mass Hijacking of AFRINIC IPv4 Space by U.S.A. Spammers

Jean-Baptiste MILLOGO jbmillogo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:52:55 UTC 2016

> > On 18 Nov 2016, at 09:14, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:
> >

> >> On 18 Nov 2016, at 11:28, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
> wrote:
> >> I do -not- suggest taking back any legacy resources from any legal
> entity
> >> or rightful successor in law where said entity or at least some rightful
> >> succssor in law can be located with modest but reasonable due diligence.
> >> But neither do I think it a wise practice to bury the dead with all of
> >> their Krugerrands, e.g. out of some deranged and misplaced sense of duty
> >> to their departed spirits.
> >
> > I will initiate an effort to contact legacy resource holders whose space
> is registered in the AFRINCI database, and verify or update their contact
> details.  I don’t know what can be done if the original resource holder has
> disappeared leaving the space abandoned.
>
> What is clearly evident is that a review/audit policy is sorely needed.  I
> don’t know about Mauritius but abandoned property is generally subject to
> finders keepers rules or a variation.  I can see no better keeper than the
> RIR. Perhaps we seek legal advice on this as you try to contact these
> resource holders.
>
> I am not condoning but couldn’t help noticing the varied response to
> Ronald Guilmette’s breach of conduct.   If the authors of the proposed
> policy got as much varied feedback, it would help to make sure the policy
> fulfils the requirements rather than the distractions with inconsequential
> fear-mongering posts about witch hunts etc.
>
> -Omo

> Dears

The legacy resources at AFRINIC, was discussed previously with no outcome
or action plan
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2016-June/000291.html

Someone raide ip hijacking...
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2016-June/000295.html

There was no response and outcome.

Review policy is on table and give us opportunity to :

   - review IP resources usage in AFRINIC region
   - recall if applicable, unused IP resources
   - encourage accountability and RSA compliance
   - help AFRINIC operate in public truct

Furthermore, it is up to community to decide if we would like legacy
resources holders to provide fees in counterpart of AFRINIC services
towards them.
Hope this helps.

--
Jean Baptiste MILLOGO