[rpd] Mass Hijacking of AFRINIC IPv4 Space by U.S.A. Spammers

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Nov 18 07:15:15 UTC 2016

Ronald,

Actually - it would have been NO use whatsoever.

Firstly - there is no policy that says someone can't spam with their IP address space to my knowledge - it doesn't exist - you're welcome to propose one, good luck getting it passed.  (If I'm wrong here - someone point me to the clauses, I may have missed something)

Secondly - all of the space in question is legacy space and not bound at all about any policy we set in AfriNIC - so again, the policy would have been mute.

Thirdly - I've looked pretty closely at hijacking - and you make one fatally flawed assumption - and that is that people who are spamming are going to hijack unannounced yet allocated blocks vs announced and allocated blocks.  The assumption is a fallacy - and I know, because I was the victim of hijacking with the express purpose of using the space to spam - and it was very much announced at the time it was hijacked.  The only way to actually prevent said hijacking is to de-aggregate everything to /24s - and if we all did that, the routers would all die a horrible death due to routing table bloat.  Again - auditing would have absolutely zero effect here.

Forth we have all already agreed that there is no policy requirement whatsoever to announce space into the global table provided you can provide a legitimate justification as to why you need globally unique resource that isn't announced - so again - auditing against that criteria is a fallacy.

For someone who claims to have done all the hard work - your research into how policy works and how IP assignment and allocation is governed by the RIR's and the rules and processes around it seems to be abysmal.  It's generally a good idea to have a clue what you're talking about before coming onto a list and throwing your weight around as if you know so much better than everyone else.  You're not the only one who doesn't like spam and has fought against it, and you're certainly not the only one with clue on this list.

Please go and do your homework and come with something that can actually be substantiated instead of rants and raves that are categoric nonsense before wasting all of our time.

Andrew