[rpd] Summary of proposals: IPv4 Runout Management

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Nov 10 08:48:32 UTC 2016

On 10/11/2016 09:14, Noah wrote:
> If people want to deploy IPv6 they will do it but the compeling reason
> will eventually be competition as the motivation and nothing else.
>
> Atleast folk i know who do it dont even dual stack in their core as the
> prefix basically just seats on their boader router facing their ISP for
> the purpose of announcing it and that is it.
>
> So announcing an IPv6 prefix to an upstream provider imho doesnt cut it
> and its easy to do.

I'm disturbed by this email as you could be right. I obviously hope you
are wrong or only right in a small number of marginal cases.

I'd like to see a study on IPv6 in the AFRINIC region.

1 - We can already calculate which announced ASNs don't have IPv6.

2 - We thus know who has an IPv6 block of addresses...

3 - and can correspondingly see if those blocks are in the Routing
Tables (a job Andrew has already undertaken).

* If its common practise to simply announce one's IPv6 on the boarder
router and leave IPv6 deployment to that step - which seems quite a
simple exercise (you use the word "easy") - then anyone who has a block
and has not done at least this and has had their block for 12+ month
really needs an official reprimand.

4 - More interesting to measure would be "are there internal services
using the IPv6 addresses" - such as the Reverse DNS entries for the IPv6
block itself. Another measurement would be whether the email contact
addresses are reachable via IPv6 transport.

At least that would be a better start.

> Noah

Noah - please talk to the folk you know who don't even dual stack in
their core and see if you can convince them to change their ways.

Please bring back success stories to the community.

        ----------------

Money - either saved (carrot) or loss (stick) - should be a basic motivator.
Honour, fame or being up there with the best could be another basic
motivator.

Competition - only works if someone starts the ball rolling. Why bother
if it looks like IPv4 will be around for years (which the one policy
looks to try and do).

So sad.

ps - I was giving talks on IPv6 deployment at the AFRINIC-8 meeting in
Rabat, Morocco (May 2008) and got my own block before that in Jan 2007
which was up and running with core services within a month or two.

pps - IPv6 deployment is never, by nature, instant. It however can never
be achieved until its started.

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496