[rpd] Summary of proposals: IPv4 Runout Management

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Thu Nov 10 09:49:45 UTC 2016

Hello,

Inline...
> On Nov 10, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:
>

> On 10/11/2016 09:14, Noah wrote:
>> If people want to deploy IPv6 they will do it but the compeling reason
>> will eventually be competition as the motivation and nothing else.
>>
>> Atleast folk i know who do it dont even dual stack in their core as the
>> prefix basically just seats on their boader router facing their ISP for
>> the purpose of announcing it and that is it.
>>
>> So announcing an IPv6 prefix to an upstream provider imho doesnt cut it
>> and its easy to do.
>
> I'm disturbed by this email as you could be right. I obviously hope you
> are wrong or only right in a small number of marginal cases.
>
> I'd like to see a study on IPv6 in the AFRINIC region.
>
> 1 - We can already calculate which announced ASNs don't have IPv6.
>
> 2 - We thus know who has an IPv6 block of addresses...
>
> 3 - and can correspondingly see if those blocks are in the Routing
> Tables (a job Andrew has already undertaken).
>
> * If its common practise to simply announce one's IPv6 on the boarder
> router and leave IPv6 deployment to that step - which seems quite a
> simple exercise (you use the word "easy") - then anyone who has a block
> and has not done at least this and has had their block for 12+ month
> really needs an official reprimand.
>
> 4 - More interesting to measure would be "are there internal services
> using the IPv6 addresses" - such as the Reverse DNS entries for the IPv6
> block itself. Another measurement would be whether the email contact
> addresses are reachable via IPv6 transport.
>
> At least that would be a better start.

Are you telling me how i run my network ?:-)

We should treat this as a collective responsibly.

>> Noah
>
> Noah - please talk to the folk you know who don't even dual stack in
> their core and see if you can convince them to change their ways.
>
> Please bring back success stories to the community.
>
>        ————————

It will happen if we try to understand people issues, concerns, challenges and address them properly
I like the idea of a study on IPv6 in AFRINIC service region, but not with  focus on IPv6 address distribution and announcement. Focus  on  the status of the Networks, v6 deployment issues, challenges,  perspectives and way forward. Some of us have been doing this kind of work  at country level for governments/regulators/ops and will be happy to help.

> Money - either saved (carrot) or loss (stick) - should be a basic motivator.
> Honour, fame or being up there with the best could be another basic
> motivator.
>
> Competition - only works if someone starts the ball rolling. Why bother
> if it looks like IPv4 will be around for years (which the one policy
> looks to try and do).
>
> So sad.

No one policy is trying to keep IPv4 around  or years. I see two proposals who agree on transition to IPv6, but diverge on how to  make it happen and role of the  RIR v4 pool especially the last /8 (102/8) in this transition.

It was known long ago, that after IANA and RIRs run out of v4 space, it will take time for the InterNetwork to run out of v4. The low level of IPv6 adoption we got before the run out  of v4 added more incentives to this. Hope you’ve seen the market...

> ps - I was giving talks on IPv6 deployment at the AFRINIC-8 meeting in
> Rabat, Morocco (May 2008) and got my own block before that in Jan 2007
> which was up and running with core services within a month or two.

I remember and confirm.
 You should also remember that during all my service s time at AFRINIC, i always use you as example( IPv6, DNSSEC. RPKI). Got sometimes annoyed by you being on our head for Routing Registry while nobody else was asking for it :-), But it was ok. Folks are now enjoying the Routing Registry.

> pps - IPv6 deployment is never, by nature, instant. It however can never
> be achieved until its started.

Agree

—Alain