[rpd] Summary of proposals: IPv4 Runout Management

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Nov 9 21:00:50 UTC 2016

Arnaud!  Thank you!

I was kinda so hoping someone would go here…

So, lets now talk about this and address the big elephant in the room.

Rough Consensus is contra-indicated by sustained and valid objection.  Now, let’s look at the current situation

a.)     There are two policies on the floor that directly contradict each other – and in effect serve as objection to each other

b.)    Both policies are entirely valid and entirely appropriate in nature

c.)     The objections stated to the current policy by Owen, myself and others on this list and on the floor have not been addressed – they have not changed – they are still valid – and they are sustained and not being withdrawn

d.)    The co-authors of both policies have chosen not to withdraw their policies – because both have sustained and entirely valid objections to the alternative policy.

Therefore – by your own email, *NEITHER* policy can pass at the moment – because they diametrically oppose each other with little synergy and act as a wall against each other.

Further to this – Just because the objections coming from people like myself, Owen, Mark, the rest of my co-authors and everyone else have remained unchanged and we remain unmoved, does not negate their validity in any way shape or form.  In fact, it forms the very definition of sustained.

So by your own email below – there could not have been consensus – unless you claim that for some reason, the objections raised on the floor and on this list are invalid and not applicable – in which case the rebuttal to those objections needs to be factually backed up with hard data.  It cannot be based on emotion, it cannot be based on hearsay, it cannot be supposition without foundation.  To clear the objections without directly addressing them, means rebutting them with empirical evidence, something that clearly, the objectors who *sustain* their objections have not seen, because if they had, their stance would have shifted based on such evidence, that’s just logic.

Thank you for making the case.

My objection to the policy stands – it stands in the un-rebutted statements I made at the microphone, it stands as the un-rebutted comments I have made on this list, and it stands in the form of an entirely valid policy proposal.

As a note – my co-authors and myself will be publishing a revision to our policy shortly to take into account various comments we have received both on and off list – I hope to have that out by Friday.

Thanks

Andrew