[rpd] Lame delegation in AFRINIC WHOIS database

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Oct 26 09:29:57 UTC 2016

On 26/10/2016 09:24, Amreesh Phokeer wrote:

> Questions to the community:
> 1. Should AFRINIC implement operational checks that are run periodically
> and members are informed about the status of their domain objects.

"After X reminders, if domain object still contain lame NS records, domain
object are removed." is part of "2"

years ago, when I started to run the CO.ZA domain name system, Mike
Lawrie, the previous administrator, strongly suggested to me that you
should not put something into the zone until it works. i.e. Start off
with something that works.

This was built into the CO.ZA DNS system - your Nameservers has to work
at the time of delegation. Lots of people did not like this - but it was
policy. This has relaxed a bit over time.

When Nameservers are added to the AFRINIC "my.afrinic.net" web interface
- one could run some checks there and then and provide user feedback.
One could either refuse to accept the new/change operation immediately -
or perhaps after a day (before people forget).

A once-yearly check would perhaps be appropriate. If something is noted
to be bad, check once a week/month and send warnings until its fixed (or
perhaps automatically deleted).

Currently - I have no idea if any of my Nameservers are Lame. That would
be the first problem to "fix".

I think visual feedback should also be provided for DS records
added/present in the system. Always do these tests when someone makes a
change - and perhaps when ever someone logs into my.afrinic.

> 2. Should the AFRINIC community enforce lame delegation removal through
> a policy.

Whether Policy or not - I'd support the eventual removal of nameservers
found to be completely broken.

--
Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496