[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Tue Sep 13 08:31:09 UTC 2016

Hi Frank,
At 11:58 12-09-2016, Frank Habicht wrote:
>Which current, past or future policy are we talking about?

I went to
http://afrinic.net/en/community/policy-development/policy-proposals/89
to answer the above question and got a 404.  I was looking for
Section 3.9.2 of a current proposal.

>https://afnog.org/pipermail/afnog/2016-March/002596.html
>I think that as of March we have established that several ASNs (23889
>and 30999 at least) can and do reach a third party (some DNS service)
>over the IXP. that makes 3 participants. Who can and do use the IXP.

I initially replied to Mukom (
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2016/005870.html ) as he
commented about 6spots.  I was surprised to see the URL which was
unrelated to the 6spots comment generated much more than mild interest.

>If you think someone doesn't use the IXP to their full potential, this
>issue should be directed at them.

Ok.

>In my experience most IXPs invite every market player (and
>possibly/ideally others) to join - and make the most of it in terms of
>local routing of traffic. If an operator doesn't use it, it should not
>be the fault of the IXP.

Someone discussed about the IXP last year in a local group; I was not
part of that discussion.  One of the responses in that discussion
was: "last time [removed] came to Mauritius, he did a really nice
presentation and talk to get those Mauritian ISPs to actually get
into it, it seems they don't really care, they seem to have come just
for the food and tea".

I'll mention that what I am writing is probably not be applicable to
Tanzania as I don't know the context in that country.  If you are
running an IXP in Tanzania, it is an advantage if you can get traffic
from regional providers who are not in Tanzania to go through your
IXP.  Each market has its own set of constraints.

>PS: I think Nishal mentioned an info@ address that's not afrinic where
>IXP outages can be addressed to.

I sent the email to the contact address (
http://www.mixp.org/#contact ) as it did not make sense to send email
to a SMTP service when the network on which it is hosted was out of service.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy