[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Mon Sep 12 18:58:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

Which current, past or future policy are we talking about?

more below:

On 9/12/2016 1:51 PM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
> Hi Nishal,
> At 03:10 12-09-2016, Nishal Goburdhan wrote:
>> i don't live in the US, so i can't speak to that.  but, fwiw, i *did*
>> live in mauritius for a few years.  i recall there being choice then.
>> i hope, for the sake of competition, that hasn't changed.  i'm
>> guessing, by looking at the participant list at the MIXP, that it hasn't.
>
> I guess that whether there is competition or not is a matter of
> opinion.  In my opinion, it is useful to understand the local context
> instead of relying on a participant list only.

https://afnog.org/pipermail/afnog/2016-March/002596.html
I think that as of March we have established that several ASNs (23889
and 30999 at least) can and do reach a third party (some DNS service)
over the IXP. that makes 3 participants. Who can and do use the IXP.

If you think someone doesn't use the IXP to their full potential, this
issue should be directed at them.

In my experience most IXPs invite every market player (and
possibly/ideally others) to join - and make the most of it in terms of
local routing of traffic. If an operator doesn't use it, it should not
be the fault of the IXP.

Regards,
Frank

PS: I think Nishal mentioned an info@ address that's not afrinic where