[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Amreesh Phokeer amreesh at afrinic.net
Mon Aug 29 10:21:25 UTC 2016

Hi SM

> On Aug 29, 2016, at 11:10 AM, Daniel Shaw <daniel at afrinic.net> wrote:
>
> SM,
>
>> On 29 Aug 2016, at 12:47 PM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
>>

>> According to a Research & Development Support Engineer [1] from Afrinic "Les opérateurs de télécommunications mauriciens ne sont pas préparés à passer à l’IPv6".  According to the President of the IPv6 Forum: "Rien n’a été fait à Maurice pour déployer l’IPv6”.
>
> These are opinions - not data.

Let me add that this article is not authoritative and has neither been endorsed nor authorised by AFRINIC.
The statements are baseless as no hard facts have been provided.

>> According to the data on 6spots there are eight LIRs in that country with IPv6 and over 50% IPv6 "announcements”.
>
> Yes. That is the data from the WHOIS DB and global BGP.
>
>> Would it be possible for you to ask the Research & Development Support Engineer for advice as it may be easier for a person sitting in the same office as you to explain how to verify the information for that country?
>
> Data on 6pots is based on a) IPv6 allocation data, which you can find yourself on ftp.afrinic.net and BGP data from archive.routeviews.org <http://archive.routeviews.org/>

That’s correct. So either one or both of the two sources of information are unreliable? Can you point what exactly is unreliable?

http://bgp.he.net/country/MU <http://bgp.he.net/country/MU> says it sees 18 ASNs out of which 13 are advertising IPv6 space.
To me this seems very close to what 6spots is mentioning 12 out of 18 (as at 2016-08-01).

I would suggest that you verify your information first before making wrong statements.

> I believe that perhaps you are confusing allocations and BGP announcements (which is what 6spots collates and graphs), with actual usage at end-points, CPEs and devices (which is entirely different).
This is what I am thinking as well.