[rpd] Policy Proposal Update - IPv4 Soft Landing-bis

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sun Aug 28 07:39:24 UTC 2016

So, lets look at this like this

Certain countries are starting to propose regulations that state that all public hotspots HAVE to have public IP addresses – see the Kenyan draft regulations (actually interestingly enough I believe that’s also the status-quo in certain European countries)

Now, taken from the perspective of a company that does public hotspots, supporting thousands of users, limiting the amount of space a provider can get = limitation on the amount of public hotspots they can provide.

Does this really impact the company providing the hotspots?  Well, probably not from a revenue perspective, not massively anyway.  However, it *DOES* directly impact the *AFRICAN CUSTOMER*

Yes, I know some are going to say that v4 space is running out – so the impact is coming anyway, however, why not let those who have the ability to actually service the customers *TODAY* do so?  Why the limitations and the dragging out of v4 life span when the rest of the world has already gone over the cliff?

Are we looking at this from the perspective of the consumer, or the perspective of the ISP here – if we care about only the small ISP’s interests fine, hold back the space, let it lie idle until it becomes worthless and in the end hurt the whole industry.  If we’re thinking about the African consumer, then we have to look very differently, because consumers need to be connected, be it by a BIG ISP, or a SMALL ISP – not held back because certain people are attempting to discriminate against large companies for their own selfish reasons, and hold stuff in reserve for themselves in case one day in the distant future they can accomplish what they haven’t been able to do up till now, roll out networks that can actually use the space for the benefit of the consumer.

Sorry – I do not buy this notion of “fairness” to the ISP’s, because “fairness” to the ISP’s is not what this is about – ensuring that the continent moves forward and the people are connected TODAY is what this is about.  The rest of the world is moving on, and any action that slows down internet adoption on the continent does nothing but put this continent further behind – it is foolish, it is selfish, and it is a damning reflection on all who support such.

Thanks

Andrew