[rpd] Policy Proposal Update - IPv4 Soft Landing-bis

John Hay jhay at meraka.csir.co.za
Sat Aug 27 11:41:24 UTC 2016

On 27 August 2016 at 12:42, Nishal Goburdhan <nishal at controlfreak.co.za>
wrote:

> On 26 Aug 2016, at 8:17, Mark Tinka wrote:
> > On 26/Aug/16 06:30, Jackson Muthili wrote:
> >
> >> A justified need now means any huge company can deplete all IPv4
> >> reserve. It is a very unfair policy at this moment in time when that
> >> reserve is still needed by many others. Is this what you really want
> >> for us?
> >
> > Maybe the questions we should all be asking are:
> >
> >     1. What is a huge company?
> >     2. What is a small company?
> >     3. What is a rich company?
> >     4. What is a poor company?
>
> discrimination of $company_type by any means, is still discrimination.
> i don’t know about you, but i’ve lived through enough of that ..

Should it be about the company or what they want to do with it? Is a big
allocation because you want to connect a lot of users worse than a small
allocation connecting a few users? It does not seem fair either.

A company that start in 1 or 2 years time and not designing its network
with IPv6 as the default will be irresponsible. He might still add some
form of gateway to get to the web sites that was started in the heydays of
IPv4 and then never touched again. But what the majority of users use on
the internet is either already available on IPv6 or will be in the next
year or two.

So I guess a question should be, how much do we want to stretch our reserve
of IPv4 space? If we stretch it too much, we will still have left when
nobody wants it anymore. If that happens because we denied allocation
requests along the way, was that fair to them? If we don't stretch it
enough and we run out earlier, we are kind of in the same boat as the rest
of the world.

John