[rpd] Policy Proposal Update - IPv4 Soft Landing-bis

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Aug 25 13:44:03 UTC 2016

Omo,

Let us talk about what our IPv6 rollout ACTUALLY proved.

A.)   It can be done – there is nothing stopping people beyond hard work – it did not cost money, it cost time, effort and hard work

B.)    There is no need for a policy to push IPv6 rollout – it can be done in the absence of policy if people actually have the desire to do it

C.)    I am not saying that anyone should get preference – I am saying let the space be used on a first come, first serve basis and let those who actually have infrastructure to use it, use it TODAY, rather than leaving people without the ability to actually connect AFRICAN customers in AFRICA to their detriment because certain people aren’t ready to use the space that is available.

D.)   I am saying that by holding back space from those who truly need it TODAY to connect customers TODAY is nothing more than selfish desire of those who see some distant undefined future in which they will need it, without any thought to the customers who will go unconnected because you have tied the hands of those who actually have the ability to rollout the space TODAY to their customers.

E.)    I am saying you are playing a game of negative eugenics with IP space, with no empirical justification, no hard facts or figures to justify where your limitations come from, no real maths behind it, and a bunch of suppositions that are totally unfounded.

And yes, there is a need for me to VERY clearly state that I remain OPPOSED to this policy, since you chose to bring my name, and my work, into your baseless justifications

Andrew