[rpd] Draft inbound policy

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Tue Jun 21 15:01:59 UTC 2016

I support the one-way policy although I would prefer it to be two-way.
I understand the fears that addresses would flow out of the region; the
LACNIC community expressed the same fears when considering a two-way policy
last year.  Many members actually feared that ISPs in Latin America would
voluntarily impose CGN just so they could sell their addresses!

I have experience with inter-regional transfers, I brokered the first one
back in 2012 and have done hundreds of them since.
I have brokered the odd APNIC to RIPE, or RIPE to APNIC, but the vast
majority of these addresses flow from the address-rich regions of ARIN (and
to a lesser extent RIPE) out to APNIC.
In areas with larger supplies of available IPv4, prices are lower. So in
almost every case the lowest price is for addresses sourced in the ARIN
region. This drives addresses out of ARIN as buyers from out-of-region
choose the lowest priced addresses.

By all means I think AFRINIC should avoid a strictly in-region transfer
policy, although that beats no transfer policy at all.  We are seeing issues
with the newly implemented intra-regional-only policy in LACNIC related to
lack of supply. Our fear is this will naturally cause prices to rise in that
region, or in any region where supply is constrained.

ARIN does require reciprocity for inter-regional transfers but I am not
certain if the implementation of the policy language would actually prevent
one-way transfers. We know that RIPE would support a one-way transfer
policy, thanks to Tore.

Owen do you remember if the one-way option was ever brought up with the ARIN
staff or community and if so what the response was?  Was the word
"reciprocal" associated with two-way traffic, or was "reciprocal" associated
with a needs-test requirement by the recipient RIR?

Regards,
Mike Burns