[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 17 07:07:06 UTC 2016

On 16/Jun/16 14:22, Kofi ANSA AKUFO wrote:

> 1. The mobile industry is now a boom in Africa and yet providers in
> our region are reluctant to do away with Carrier-grade NAT (CGN). What
> are the challenges?

The perceived difficulties of having to deal with getting IPv6 on
handsets seem insurmountable for most mobile operators.

It takes a lot of technical and commercial will to deliver IPv6 to
mobile phones. If that will is in short supply, nothing will get off the
ground.

> What kind of projects are the /10 and /12 IPv4 allocations used for?
> Can they be achieved purely with IPv6?

I can't speak to the operations of a service provider. Each one is
different.

> 2. How about the DSL providers ... how many are seamlessly or
> transparently pushing v6 only to their subscribers?

IPv6 in broadband applications is very poor in Africa. Embarrassingly
Very Poor.

Mark.