[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 17 08:29:39 UTC 2016

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 00:07 , Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>

> On 16/Jun/16 14:22, Kofi ANSA AKUFO wrote:
>

>> 1. The mobile industry is now a boom in Africa and yet providers in
>> our region are reluctant to do away with Carrier-grade NAT (CGN). What
>> are the challenges?
>
> The perceived difficulties of having to deal with getting IPv6 on
> handsets seem insurmountable for most mobile operators.
>
> It takes a lot of technical and commercial will to deliver IPv6 to
> mobile phones. If that will is in short supply, nothing will get off the
> ground.

All four major providers (AT&T, VZ, T-Mo, even SPRINT) in the US have managed this supposedly difficult
feat at this point.

This means that current handsets from most manufacturers, notably Apple, Samsung which represent the vast majority of the market already have the support available.

I don’t know to what extent this support depends on LTE deployment which I admit is not particularly widespread in Africa as yet. I’m sure it probably isn’t going to work on the remaining 2G networks.

So I don’t think that it necessarily takes so much commercial will today as you may think it does.