[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Kofi ANSA AKUFO kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:22:24 UTC 2016

So from a different perspective do we have any credible stats of native
deployment of IPv6 in our region.

Most of the big telcos in our region have enabled v6 backbones no doubt
about that BUT ....

1. The mobile industry is now a boom in Africa and yet providers in our
region are reluctant to do away with Carrier-grade NAT (CGN). What are the
challenges?
What kind of projects are the /10 and /12 IPv4 allocations used for? Can
they be achieved purely with IPv6?

2. How about the DSL providers ... how many are seamlessly or transparently
pushing v6 only to their subscribers?

We do not have many established Cloud providers in our region so the above
to categories seem to be the major consumers.

Although very difficult to collate there should be some follow-up mechanism
to encourage v6 only in the edge networks.
We should see more promotion of default v6 only subscriber devices.

cheers

K.