[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 17 02:40:47 UTC 2016

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 12:09, Badru Ntege <badru.ntege at nftconsult.com> wrote:
>

> On 16 Jun 2016, at 7:59 pm, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>> There’s simply no excuse today for building out an IPv4-only network.
>
> Equally no sane reason technical or business for building a purely v6 network in the Afrinic region.

Nor have I advocated that at any point yet.

> We need to take both macro and micro considerations.  In most other regions the argument for v6 is very valid.
>
> If v4 is so "last century" how come some "insane" people have created a lucrative business out of it ??

There are many questionable lucrative businesses. I can make quite a good income selling poisonous plant matter wrapped in paper.  Sure, my product will kill you slowly if you use it, but that hasn't prevented a multi-billion dollar industry from forming.

The mere existence of a lucrative industry does not prove the goodness of anything.

> This resource needs to stay in the region and be protected as we plan our V6 future.

I've never been advocating transferring AfriNIC resources out of region. I have stated that I don't feel an inbound-only asymmetrical policy is fair.

I'm not sure what you mean by protected. How, exactly does one harm a pile of integers?