[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Thu Jun 16 03:04:28 UTC 2016

> On 16 Jun 2016, at 02:50, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 15, 2016, at 12:33 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz <mailto:noah at neo.co.tz>> wrote:
>>

>> On 15 Jun 2016 22:03, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>> >

>> > Instead, the best thing is for all of us to recognize that IPv4 has become unsustainable and stop depending on its continued availability.
>> >

>> We can similarly recognise that Crude Oil fossils and their byproducts Diesel and Petrol [IPv4] are unsustainable a d stop depending on their continued availability.
>>
>> We should all go for Solar Energy [IPv6] after all the Sun is so abundant in supply and everyone will have unlimited energy through solar.
>>

> Agreed… I have 31 panels on my roof generating approximately 108% of my total electrical needs and feeding the excess back to the power utility in my area. (I use about 1.2kw average consumption and my solar system generates about 6.5kW peak output about 5-6 hours per day during summer).
>
> How about you?
>
> Owen

What’s your point Owen?  That Noah isn’t correct that fossil fuels will continue to be relevant despite your 31 panels?  I have deployed a few more than you by the way.

Please, lets dispel with the hype that IPv4 is dead despite our shared aspirations for IPv6 and contend with the reality.  The US has seen an increase in both v6 deployments and IPv4 trading.  Gabe Fried of Hilco Streambank and Alan Durand presented data on the situation in AFRINIC and elsewhere to guide us.  I suggest you look at that or provide data to support your opposing arguments.

Btw,  I was on the same flight out with Gabe and he is happy to provide an update in Mauritius so lets stick with facts.  Opinions don’t count.   It is clear is that IPv4 will continue to be relevant for all regions….that’s why folks who claim IPv4 is dead are confusingly proposing transfer policies for same resource.   More importantly, the final /8 only exists because of the basic principle of equitable distribution.  Anything contrary is disingenuous and misleading.

-Omo