[rpd] Statistics on IPV4 allocation in Africa as of 2016

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 16 08:27:09 UTC 2016

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 20:04 , Omo Oaiya <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:
>

>> On 16 Jun 2016, at 02:50, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

>>> We can similarly recognise that Crude Oil fossils and their byproducts Diesel and Petrol [IPv4] are unsustainable a d stop depending on their continued availability.
>>>
>>> We should all go for Solar Energy [IPv6] after all the Sun is so abundant in supply and everyone will have unlimited energy through solar.
>>>

>> Agreed… I have 31 panels on my roof generating approximately 108% of my total electrical needs and feeding the excess back to the power utility in my area. (I use about 1.2kw average consumption and my solar system generates about 6.5kW peak output about 5-6 hours per day during summer).
>>
>> How about you?
>>
>> Owen
>
> What’s your point Owen?  That Noah isn’t correct that fossil fuels will continue to be relevant despite your 31 panels?  I have deployed a few more than you by the way.

No, my point is to attempt to practice what I preach. I’ve got IPv6 on my networks and I’ve got solar on my roof. Noah seems to be arguing to starve today in order to have some amount of food still available after we have all died of hunger when it comes to IPv4.

> Please, lets dispel with the hype that IPv4 is dead despite our shared aspirations for IPv6 and contend with the reality.  The US has seen an increase in both v6 deployments and IPv4 trading.  Gabe Fried of Hilco Streambank and Alan Durand presented data on the situation in AFRINIC and elsewhere to guide us.  I suggest you look at that or provide data to support your opposing arguments.

No, IPv4 is not dead. It is in a most unfortunate state and it has been on life support for years. It has developed the moral equivalent of diverse intravascular coagulopathy and there is virtually no indication of any sort of higher brain function remaining. Some networks now suffer from so many layers of NAT that it is a wonder a packet ever escapes onto the actual internet, yet like dirt farmers with only a stick, we continue to poke at the IPv4 ground saying it is all we have.

IPv4 needs to die. It deserves to die. Keeping it alive is prolonging the pain for everyone. I did not say IPv4 was dead. I said that it is on life support and it is time to pull the plug.

> Btw,  I was on the same flight out with Gabe and he is happy to provide an update in Mauritius so lets stick with facts.  Opinions don’t count.   It is clear is that IPv4 will continue to be relevant for all regions….that’s why folks who claim IPv4 is dead are confusingly proposing transfer policies for same resource.   More importantly, the final /8 only exists because of the basic principle of equitable distribution.  Anything contrary is disingenuous and misleading.

Actually, for a very long time, I opposed transfer policies. Eventually, I realized that because we failed as a community to deploy IPv6 in a timely or even slightly late manner and we continue to fail to deploy it, that it would be necessary to add to the misery of IPv4 by introducing yet another set of monetary incentives to do harmful things.

IPv4 was never intended to be an addressing scheme for a global internet of everyone. It was an experiment that escaped from the lab prematurely. NAT, like DDT has become one of those technologies that I believe has done more harm than good. I wish it could be un-invented. Without NAT, we would have been forced to actually implement a longer term solution much earlier when the net was still a much more manageable conversion size. However, hindsight is always 20/20 as they say, so we are where we are and we should be looking to take the best path forward from this point.

Prolonging the agony that is IPv4 is _NOT_ the best path forward.