[rpd] Internet number resources reporting regulations

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 09:48:07 UTC 2016

If I were a regulator and wanted to effectively ensure that the IP address
information in my country was up to date, I'd consider

* Rather than require operators to send that data to me, to UPDATE it in
whois

* When I need it, I can pull the data from AFRINIC whois. I might even
develop software that pulls this in this data and then merges it with some
other useful data from other sources to present useful information for
regulation, decision analysis

* As a check, I'd randomly pick an a block or address that's shown as
allocated to my country and verify if relevant details in whois are up to
date.

On 4 June 2016 at 11:22, Wafa Dahmani <wafa at ati.tn> wrote:

> But does the whois data base is updated ?
> I think some countries are not updating AFRINIC as they should indeed they
> can have an updated information localy
>

> Le 04/06/2016 10:02, Mark Elkins a écrit :
>
> Has tzNIC ever complied with this? Does the "Authority"
> (Government/Regulator) know they can go straight to AFRINIC (using the
> "whois" System) in order to find out who owns a particular IP Block?
>
> I seem to remember a similar occasion where an African country asked for
> a local "Registry" of address space - until they found out that the
> information was already available via WHOIS. The issue was then dropped.
>
> And - there is not normally such a "business" relationship between a
> Country (ccTLD) NIC and AFRINIC - except that the NIC may have some
> address space.
>
> On 04/06/2016 10:43, Wafa Dahmani wrote:
>
> Dear All,
> I support what Douglas said
> As an AFRINIC member we have to give informations about how we are using
> the IP adresses through the AFRINIC interface.
> For other practises within the country it's about coutry issues.
> Regards
>

> Le 04/06/2016 08:57, Douglas Onyango a écrit :
>
> Kivuva, et al,
> Unless tzNIC becomes an NIR -- and I am not proposing they should -- I
> don't see much benefit in this endeavor.
>
> The motivation behind collecting IP address allocation and usage
> information is to enhance accountability. However, if such information
> collected by tzNIC doesn't end up at the RIR, which maintains the
> globally accessible allocation/usage database,this information will be
> stored away at worst and MIGHT, be used by the relevant government
> agency at best.
>
> Regards,
>
> On 3 June 2016 at 12:59, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com<mailto:Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com>> wrote:
>
>     I came across the Electronic Communication Numbering and Addressing)
>     regulations from Tanzania that requires
>
>     11.(1) -All entities assigned with internet resources by
>     the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) shall submit to tzNIC
>     on a monthly basis both assigned and in use Internet Protocol
>     (IP) addresses.
>      (2) The tzNIC shall maintain an updated National
>     Data Base of any IP addresses in use and registered domain
>     names in the United Republic.
>      (3) The tzNIC shall after every three months starting
>     January, 2012 submit to the Authority information on the
>     assigned IP addresses and registered domain Names within
>     that period.
>
>     Here is the linkt ot the regulations:
>     http://www.tanzania.go.tz/egov_uploads/documents/Electronic%20Communication%20Numbering%20and%20Addressing%20regulations%202011.pdf
>

>     Just wondering if there are other countries within Africa that
>     requires resource owners to report their usage to the government. What
>     are the pros and cons of such regulations?

> [...]

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran