[rpd] Internet number resources reporting regulations

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sat Jun 4 17:35:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 6/4/2016 12:02 PM, Mark Elkins wrote:
> Has tzNIC ever complied with this?

as in "sent letters asking for such info to ISPs" - yes.

> Does the "Authority"
> (Government/Regulator) know they can go straight to AFRINIC (using the
> "whois" System) in order to find out who owns a particular IP Block?

"Apparently not"
I'd call it a misunderstanding, and now (public) proof thereof.

> I seem to remember a similar occasion where an African country asked for
> a local "Registry" of address space - until they found out that the
> information was already available via WHOIS. The issue was then dropped.

I recently tried via email. I hope
"Also, I would like to note that AfriNIC has processes and facilities
that ensure publication of their delegations (whois and statistics)."
is clear enough.

> And - there is not normally such a "business" relationship between a
> Country (ccTLD) NIC and AFRINIC - except that the NIC may have some
> address space.

and the regulator has space (and is member) as well, just saying.

Regards,
Frank