[rpd] Board Composition

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed May 4 05:50:53 UTC 2016

On 4/May/16 00:50, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:

> Owen's concerns on organizational structure are valid and there is need to look out for
> and to avoid possibility capture of AFRINIC by a company, or as I  additionally stated
> about a year ago, by a geographic region or country.
>
> I got crucified for making those remarks during the last and similar AFRINIC elections a
> year ago. It is not enough to say that voters will be able to see it and vote wisely, it
> does not happen especially if those twisting the facts, as here, have enough resources
> to distort the picture.
>
> The concern here is genuine in addition to other conflicts of interest involving ICANN
> etc that others have mentioned.
>
> NOMCOM needs to do the right thing this time around, even if NOMCOM is under sympathetic
> leadership, we need to grow up.

I think what Owen has done is provide a practical illustration of what
could be a potential structural issue. It's easier to consider a
position when live examples are present, but that's all it was, an example.

What we should be discussing is not the specific candidate(s) in
question that represent the same organization, but rather, whether we
need to deliberately manage situations that opportune such a position in
our board and community.

Even if it's not explicitly or implicitly allowed/disallowed in the
bylaws, I think as a matter of culture, I would be concerned with a
single company having multiple representatives on the board, regardless
of their qualifications or abilities to lead. Previous and ongoing posts
on this subject are evidence of how complicated things can quickly
become, despite any good intentions or otherwise. I posit that we could
do without the distraction.

I think we need to seriously look at this, objectively. The people and
organizations in question is irrelevant - it could be anyone.

Mark.