[rpd] [members-discuss] Board Composition

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed May 4 14:42:03 UTC 2016

I believe Mark is right: the important thing here is to address the principle, not waste time talking about specific people and companies which might or might not be affected.

As Owen says, the ARIN board does not allow multiple seated members to have the same employer or, more importantly, to work for each other or engage in business together.  On the ARIN board, this rule has actually come into play, it's not theoretical.  Two points I'd make about it, and then a comment on Noth American business culture. First, this rule has come into play more often -after- elections than at the time of elections. Mergers, acquisitions, and business dealings change more frequently than elections happen.  Second, the threat of a company getting its employees elected and using them to steer the organization is relatively remote. Of much greater concern is that one board member becomes an employee of, subsidiary to, indebted to, or economically dependent upon, another board member; if that happens, the subsidiary board member will effectively always vote with the other, regardless of companies.  Independence will have been lost, and you'd be better off not even having that board seat, since it just unbalances every vote.

The comment about North American business culture, and why you shouldn't necessarily assume that the way things are done in the ARIN region are useful exemplars, is this: in North America, the abundance of lawyers has led to a pattern of trying to anticipate and completely address in advance every conceivable problem. It's inefficient, since most conceivable problems never come to pass, and most of the remainder are trivially addressed after-the-fact.

So, although ARIN has policy about this, and the policy has been used, it doesn't mean that you necessarily also need policy in this area. That's a decision you should make on its own merits.

                -Bill