[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Sun Feb 7 17:12:12 UTC 2016

Hi Owen,

Op 7 feb. 2016, om 04:45 heeft Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> het volgende geschreven:
> We cannot avoid disadvantaging some group in this process one way or another.
>
> If we limit the rate of consumption, then we disadvantage those with current need in the hopes of preserving some capacity for those who have not come to ask yet.
>
> If we provide according to present need, then we have no addresses for those who come later.

Yep, IPv4 address policy at this point in time is very similar to networking QoS: it doesn't magically create extra bandwidth, it just decides which packets to prioritise, which packets to rate-limit and which packets to drop. IPv4 address policies do the same for IPv4 resource requests.

I think this is the mindset we need now when discussing IPv4 policy.

Cheers,
Sander