[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Wed Feb 3 23:38:08 UTC 2016

Hi Owen,

> It would be very clean if we defined it as follows:
>
> An LIR is an organization which provides addresses (regardless of mechanism) to third parties for use on equipment neither owned, nor controlled by the LIR.

Be careful with "simple" definitions like that. Anybody who operates i.e. a guest-wifi network or who allows employees to bring their own devices would be considered an LIR if you write it like that :)  It might work better if you write "provides blocks of addresses to third parties" but I'm sure there are some edge cases there too.

Anyway, just pointing out that simple definitions often don't work as expected in a complicated environment. This thread is discussing much more important things!

Andrew made some very important points, and the community needs to decide on how to deal with the rapidly approaching run-out. With the current set of policies AFRINIC is approaching the exhaustion point *fast*. A conscious decision has to be made how to deal with that and whether to do/change anything, and there is one chance to do that. Hitting total exhaustion without having made a conscious decision as a community would be bad.

Cheers,
Sander