[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sun Feb 7 15:24:24 UTC 2016

On 5 Feb 2016 08:16, "Andrew Alston" <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
wrote:

> Noah,
>
>  Start thinking, lets here the solutions, because I hear a lot of
opposition for the transfer policy proposal which I believe in based on
fear and paranoia, but I have yet to hear a single person say what they are
going to do as an alternative when AfriNIC does run out, and run out it
will.

There is no better solution than going IPv6 regardless of the current
limitations. Rather than get scared of limited ipv6 coverage, one would
invest more on getting their network ready...

To me the transfer policy will heavily aid the scramble for cheap African
IP number resources to the continents disavantage. Some folks out there are
IPv4 mercenaries....

You talk of business that want to expand failing to do so without a tranfer
policy that allows them to buy outside, but then you forget that internet
development in Africa is still a huge challenge due to so many
social-economic and political factors which is why even at current internet
growth even thought is better comparee to 5 years ago, has not been fast
but its promising... the telecoms have tried to extend its reach and the
advent of mobile devices which if you come to think of it, IPv6 would be
the altimate best solution...

If the business enviroment was condusive, we wouldnt have taken this long
to exhaust our own coffers with a population of close to 1 billion now.

Statistically, even the interim tranfer solution wont have much impact
which is why i would rather spend my money advocating for an IPv6 internet
than dwell in a resource which by 2019 will be not available or if
available very bloody expensive....

By 2020 there will be about 50 billion devices online yet at current
growth... your IPv4 of 4.3 billion addresses is just an old protocol
running out of room... and the good news is that IPv6 growth in terms of
usage is at about 15% at current with most internet giants already
compliant from Google to Facebook, Akamai Comcast yahoo microsoft etc not
forgeting vendors like Cisco Juniper Dlink to name but a few.... and our
own African NSP's that transport IP traffic in and out the continent...

Knowing our continent, am sure we will manage with current allocations as
more  IPv6 transions strategies become apparent....other regions are ahead
of us and they are not wasting time...

> Andrew

Noah