[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Feb 5 05:16:18 UTC 2016

Noah,

Of course such emails are coming in, people need space.  You think such emails won’t be going out from this continent once we run out of space?  The emails we are getting are because brokers know that there is space in Africa that is available from AfriNIC and think that they can get it cheap because we are getting it cheap.  Once AfriNIC runs out of space, its a very very different story, it will be us going out there looking for space, and with no transfer policy, we won’t be able to get any.

I wish someone on this list will tell me what they plan to do the day they NEED IPv4 space for a business critical venture and cannot get it from AfriNIC.  What are your plans then?  Tell the customer who you need to serve that its not an option? Tell them to use IPv6 with no v4 dual stack and be cut off from a large part of the world that sadly, IS NOT v6 ready and let them buy from the foreign companies who are operating in Africa who DO have access to international transfer markets?  Give up selling services and find another line of work? Invest HUGE amounts of money in CGN solutions?

We are so worried about resources leaving this continent, yet look at the number of foreign providers showing up on the continent, they have access to buy resources on the secondary markets in their countries and can use that space in Africa, are you going to hand them your business because they will be able to number the customers when you won’t be able to?  That’s the potential end result, not that we give them resources, that we end up giving them our industries because we’ve cut off our own ability to grow.

So, I challenge all the people who are opposed to a transfer policy to tell this list what will happen the day they cannot get any space from AfriNIC and desperately need it.  Start thinking, lets here the solutions, because I hear a lot of opposition for the transfer policy proposal which I believe in based on fear and paranoia, but I have yet to hear a single person say what they are going to do as an alternative when AfriNIC does run out, and run out it will.

Andrew