[rpd] Some thoughts, and some actions required

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Feb 4 07:18:22 UTC 2016

On 04/02/2016, Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl> wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>
>> It would be very clean if we defined it as follows:
>>
>> An LIR is an organization which provides addresses (regardless of
>> mechanism) to third parties for use on equipment neither owned, nor
>> controlled by the LIR.
>
> Be careful with "simple" definitions like that. Anybody who operates i.e. a
> guest-wifi network or who allows employees to bring their own devices would
> be considered an LIR if you write it like that :)  It might work better if
> you write "provides blocks of addresses to third parties" but I'm sure there
> are some edge cases there too.
>
> Anyway, just pointing out that simple definitions often don't work as
> expected in a complicated environment. This thread is discussing much more
> important things!

This is how AFRINIC defines LIR and End Users

(*) Local Internet Registry (LIR): A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is
an Internet Registry (IR) that receives allocations from AFRINIC and
primarily sub-allocates or assigns address space to their customers.
LIRs are generally ISPs.
(**) End User (EU): Any entity, corporate or individual that receive
services (Number Resources assignments) directly from AFRINIC for
exclusive use on its own service infrastructure
https://www.afrinic.net/en/about-us/our-members